The Potion Bar’s Very Handy Aftercare Instructions (ears)
Healing Timeline (mostly for lobes)
Your holes are fresh. Swelling, redness, and bleeding are totally normal. Clear, light white, or yellow drainage is also normal.
Day 3 is peak swelling day! Don’t fret, take an Advil!
*Green drainage is not good: stop in and see us if it’s green.
Healing. Yellow crusties will form, don’t pick them, and don’t touch them!
Visit us for a post-piercing consult; we’ll book this with you on piercing day
Matured. The redness should be nearly gone. Keep cleaning and babying your piercing.
Downsize time! Come say hi!
Anything pierced in cartilage can take 6-12 months to heal completely, and we won’t rush a jewelry change if your body is still healing.
Folks with autoimmune disorders (Crohn’s, diabetes, etc.), and high-stress lifestyles: it can take longer than average to heal. Keep on top of hydration, and visit us often.
Caring for Your New Ear Piercings
- Spray 2-3x daily with sterile saline solution. There is no need to rinse off the spray: pay dry with gauze or a clean towel
- You can also rinse 2x a day with saline solution (preferably sterile).
- Keep it dry: after a shower or saline, blow dry your ears; they’ll be so happy
- Do not turn/twist jewelry, and DON’T pick at your crusties
- Avoid chlorinated pools, spas, or lakes
- Be sure not to sleep on your piercing (we recommend a travel pillow for side sleepers)
- Every other day, with clean freshly washed hands, pinch your jewelry to ensure threadless pieces are intact
IF YELLOW DRAINAGE PERSISTS AFTER A MONTH: Bactine 1x day, use until discharge is clear (1 week)
First Aid Aisle, bottom shelf at Shoppers, in case you’re wondering where to get it
Avoid Trouble 🙁
- Sleeping on, or bumping the piercing will slow healing and cause irritation bumps to form
- Don’t touch or rotate your piercing
- Warm chamomile tea bag compress soaks reduces bumps and increases blood flow
- Low karat/quality gold or sterling silver can be the culprit: don’t change things yourself before it’s healed; we will shame you.
- KEEP YOUR JEWELRY IN, even if it’s giving you trouble. Removing it can cause fluid buildup, and you guessed it, bumps.
- Keep your follow-up appointments
Avoid using the following to clean your piercings:
- Rubbing alcohol
- Mouth wash
- Aspirin paste can cause a chemical burn!
- Harsh products will harm your piercing!
TL;DR: Don’t put anything on it that isn’t the saline we sold you at the store
Remember: Not everything is a keloid! We love visiting you!